If you are obese and you have had little or only short-term success with low-calorie diets and exercise, you might be a candidate for weight loss surgery.
Call us today at 908-277-8950 to schedule an appointment.
You may be a candidate for weight loss surgery, if you:
- Have a body mass index (BMI) ≥40 kg/m2 or a BMI ≥35 kg/m2 with obesity-related disorders
- Are aged 18 to 70 years (patients who do not fit this age range can be considered individually)
- Want to achieve a healthy weight and improve your overall health
- Are willing to make significant, life-long dietary, nutritional, and lifestyle changes
- Understand the limits, risks, and permanent lifestyle adjustments for weight loss surgery
- Commit to life-long medical follow up
- Qualify for a general medical evaluation that can include an electrocardiogram (EKG), cardiac stress test, blood work, and sleep studies to identify health problems that might increase your risk for complications
- Qualify for a psychologist’s or psychiatrist’s behavioral evaluation to ensure you can manage the eating and lifestyle changes necessary for your success
Because obesity and morbid obesity increase the risk of complications during any surgical procedure, including bariatric surgery, the procedure is reserved for people who are likely to achieve benefits that outweigh their risks.
Insurance Coverage for Bariatric Surgery
If you are considering weight loss surgery, ask your health insurance company if it partially or entirely covers the procedure. Also ask if you must fulfill any additional requirements to qualify for coverage for your bariatric surgery.
After weight loss surgery, you must practice some permanent changes, including:
- Eating small meals
- Taking 1 small bite at a time and chewing it thoroughly before swallowing
- Exercising regularly
- Taking vitamin and mineral supplements such as calcium and vitamin B12
- Having regular medical checkups
*Obesity is defined as being 80 or more pounds overweight or having a BMI of 30 kg/m2 or higher. Morbid obesity refers to a BMI of 40 kg/m2 or higher.
|Body Mass Index (BMI) kg/m2|
|25 to 29.9||30 to 39.9||≥40|
|Weight in Pounds|
|5’2”||136 to 163||164 to 217||≥218|
|5’5”||150 to 179||180 to 239||≥240|
|5’8”||164 to 196||197 to 261||≥262|
|6’0”||184 to 220||221 to 293||≥294|